Saturday, August 22, 2009

A New Journey

To quote Lemony Snicket, from his book A Series of Unfortunate Events, "What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of the journey." There is so much truth in that statement. Think about any trial you've ever faced in your lifetime. What was the end result? Did you learn from it? Did you grow? Surely you came out better for having struggled and endured. There have been countless instances in my life where this has been the case. But the positive results don't always come on their own. Most of the positive that comes from our experiences depends on our own perspective. WE are responsible to find the lessons and draw strength from our circumstances. Often, bystanders can see more easily the good that can come from a situation when we are blinded by emotions- confusion, hurt, disappointment or pride. We may simply be too close to the picture to take it all in. But other times people struggle to see the positives in other's circumstances because of their own bias or lack of information. Think about it- persepective changes truth. Knowledge changes truth.

And so I repeat, "What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of the journey." I am on a new journey that for some will come as sad news. For many it will be disappointing, shocking, maybe unbelievable. But for those that know me best they will begin to see the happiness that has infiltrated my life. The relief and peace I am experiencing as a result of beginning this journey will be evident to those that can set their own bias aside and see me for who I am and not just what I choose (or do not choose) to place my faith in.

In the first post for this blog I wrote, "I've started this blog to share my stories about being a woman, wife, and mother... I don't intend to hold anything back." I'm a woman of my word and have every intention of honoring that statement no matter how uncomfortable or difficult it might be. From here on out it's all about being truthful, real. No more pretending.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I see part of what you are saying, for sure, but I don't know that I agree with the statement that "knowledge changes truth". Truth is eternal, and nothing can change it. Knowledge and experience may change perspective, but not truth. Real truth stands alone, unaffected by our own experience and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I was thinking about my post today and about that line, "Knowledge changes truth." I was thinking I should change that statement to "knowledge CAN change truth." Truth sometimes stands alone. But what if you haven't been told the truth-- even if you think something is true, does that mean it's really true? If my daughter thinks that ice cream comes from chickens because someone she loves, admires and repsects told her that was the truth- does that mean it's true? Of course not. But because she has been told for so long that it was the truth she might adopt something that's not true as truth. That was what I meant. Thank you for reading and commenting. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know you say "WE are responsible to find the lessons and draw strength from our circumstances" I think that line right there is how I feel about alot of things... exspecially when it comes to the Morman church.. Dont get me wrong.. they/we are good people but NOBODY likes being told HOW to do something.. If I want to pick my nose, I don't need someone dictating my every move.. "first go straigt up, the go alittle 2 the left and so on and so on.." Yeah I don't think so.. Maybe I have my OWN way of doing something.. My motto has always been "sh*t happens, its what you do with it that matters"

    ReplyDelete

Shabby background

From One Mess...

From One Mess...

..to another

..to another

Last Day of Pre-K

Last Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

Lemonade Stand

Lemonade Stand

Father's Day

Father's Day

Productivity

Productivity
June 8-???

Reading

Reading

Ice cream

Ice cream
Incentives

Suggested Reading

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • Homeschooling: The First Year by Linda Dobson
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

Followers