Thursday, June 25, 2009

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom

So here it is. My messy home. I've decided that there is no sense in pretending that I ACTUALLY keep a tidy home. Now, that having been confessed there is a difference between tidiness and cleanliness. There are three things that are required for cleanliness in my house:
1) The bathroom scrubbed top to bottom 1-2 times per week
2) Sweeping and vacuuming the floors (a constant battle but necessary with a crawling baby running wild in the house)
3) Laundry. Three children, a mechanic for a husband and me- well, I have to pick up the messy children, so my clothes are just as interesting as the children's.
Okay, so really there are four requirements:
4) Dishes.
Some of you may have read my status on facebook a few days ago about my frustration with dishes. I'm the kind of woman that likes to do a job until it's done and then I enjoy revelling in my accomplishment. With dishes, however, they are just never done. Many have suggested that the same is true for laundry, but I think it is a little different. Anyway, dishes, obviously is my struggle. Even when I try to wash a dish immediately after it's used usually situations arise that make it impossible for me to turn the water on, get the rag sudsy and scrub the dish. And most often it's not just one but four or five plates, cups, forks and the dish we cooked with. That makes as many as 16+ dishes! So, I'm letting you in on my "dirty" little secret with a bit of ulterior motive. First, so I can learn about what some of your organizing/cleaning/tidying systems are. What is your motivation? Do you clean throughout the day or first thing in the morning? Do you wait until kids are asleep to begin attacking the messes made throughout the day? Second, maybe this will help alleviate some of the pressure women in our society (intentionally or not) place on each other to keep perfect homes with everything in its place. How tidy (or not) our homes are is NOT, in my opinion, a reflection of who we are or how good of a mother we are. FYI: my dishes get stacked up when we're on our fourth day in a row of playing in the backyard together from sun-up to sundown; when I'm making myself available for my children to facilitate games, crafts, snacks, breakfast, lunch, lemonade stands, stroller walks, bike rides, trips to the library or the playground, filling the swimming pool with water from the hose, making the hose into a sprinkler with my thumb over the hole because we don't actually have a sprinkler!) pushing everyone on the swings (almost always 3 kids simultaneously) building sand dunes in the sandbox, discovering bugs, playing "RED LIGHT! GREEN LIGHT," or reading books together on a rainy afternoon. I'm not a maid I'm a mother. Some day my kitchen counters will be clutter free, the dishes always clean, toys and books always in their place. But for now, I'm relaxing my standards and remembering that when my children have all grown they won't write in a Mother's Day card, "Thanks, Mom, for keeping a clean house and always doing the dishes. You're the best!"

3 comments:

  1. You're a great mom--and it sounds like you're enjoying every minute of it!

    Here's my thing with cleaning: Surfaces. If the surfaces of our house are clean then I'm happy. I love looking across a clear kitchen counter or a kitchen floor without dried broccoli stuck to it. It brings me peace when I eliminate visual chaos.

    I'm also the queen of throwing things away. Sometimes I just go through a room and find as many things as I can to throw in the trash. Coloring pages, free pencils, wrappers, broken stuff--it accumulates so fast!

    It's a beastly struggle to balance nurturing with homemaking. I can do one or the other. I'm learning to combine homemaking and nurturing by encouraging my kids to do chores. (I'm building character and getting my house clean!)

    We go in spurts. Here's my dirty little secret: right before someone comes over (even if it's just to drop something off) I clean the house like a mad woman so that people think we live like that all the time.

    Them: "Wow! Your house is so clean!"
    Me: "Oh, um, it's always like this..."

    Good luck in your journey! Keep us posted on how you find balance and joy!

    P.S. If you can turn off your "save the planet" switch, then go buy a huge pack of paper plates. It will save your sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, has anyone ever taken you by surprise? Showed up when you weren't expecting it and your house WASN'T the way you would have wanted it to look? That has happened to me (a few times actually) and I find myself HIGHLY motivated to clean up once they leave. But when I have done my best to clean up before company arrives and it's still not perfect it takes a lot of effort to keep from saying, "Oh, please excuse our mess." I think people for the most part don't really notice unless we draw attention to something that isn't perfect.

    Surfaces... I like that. Garbage day, I like even more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I used to HATE doing dishes as a teenager. In fact, everyone in my house did, so they would pile up and it was horrible! But as an adult I have learned to really enjoy them. It started out that I would ask Jon if he'd rather take care of the kids or do the dishes. He'd always choose kids, which ended up making dishes time my "quiet time" after a long day of being mom. I also realized that if I at least soak them as soon as I put them in, they are much easier to clean later. I usually do them before dinner and then immediately after dinner as well.

    Embrace the time!
    (FYI-I hate most other chores!)

    ReplyDelete

Shabby background

From One Mess...

From One Mess...

..to another

..to another

Last Day of Pre-K

Last Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

Lemonade Stand

Lemonade Stand

Father's Day

Father's Day

Productivity

Productivity
June 8-???

Reading

Reading

Ice cream

Ice cream
Incentives

Suggested Reading

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • Homeschooling: The First Year by Linda Dobson
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

Followers