Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade Pizza

Place 2 c. warm water in bowl.
Add 2 tsp. active dry yeast
Let yeast dissolve
Add 2 tbs. sugar
3 tsp. salt
5 tblsp. oil and stir.
Then add 5 c. flour

Stir until it starts to thicken and then knead with extra flour if necessary. (This recipe makes three traditional style pizzas. You can cut the dough ball in half to make the crust a little thicker or in four if you like your crust a little thinner. I typically cut it in thirds, bake one and freeze the others in two separate bags.)

My kids prefer an old fashioned pepperoni and cheese. Mike and I enjoy replacing tomato sauce with blue cheese dressing and adding chicken pieces marinated in Frank's Red Hot and sprinkled with mozzarella. It's also good to add some extra chunks of blue cheese. Mmmmm.

Bake in a 475 degree oven 12-15 minutes.

Some ideas for toppings:
A variety/combination of cheeses
Pepperoni
Green or black olives
broccoli
mushrooms (we buy the canned ones, drain and add to pizza)
Asparagus
Spinach
Thinly sliced tomato (don't use red sauce, instead just butter and garlic)
BBQ Pork
Marinated chicken
Artichoke
Green pepper and onion
Ham
Pineapple

Did I miss any? What are some other toppings you and your family enjoy?

5 comments:

  1. You're posting the family pizza recipe? What are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is your pizza recipe. I'm so excited. Don't tell my mother-in-law, but I loved this pizza dough (even though I still like hers). Thank you so much for sharing.

    Broccoli on pizza? We aren't quite there yet, but I really like bbq chicken, alredo chicken (that's how you make pizza super unhealthy!), and taco pizza. I think it's yummy to mix salsa with the pizza sauce, then add taco seasoned ground beef, black beans, white and green onions, green and red peppers, the white cheese from the Mexican aisle, and then crumple tortilla chips on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love: pesto (instead of pizza sauce), fresh mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts and pepperoni.

    One time I made an anchovie pizza, but it was way too salty and fishy. I guess anchovies should be used in moderation. And by trained professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marnee, I heard from another friend Reva about the Mexican pizza and thought that might be something we'd like to try.

    Heather, Pesto will never happen since the men in my house refuse to eat anything green. :-)

    Stacey, I don't actually think this is the family recipe. I think this one came from an episode of America's test kitchen. The family recipe calls for less oil I think. Anyway, this is the one that's in my "handwritten" recipe notebook where I coy down recipes from all over!!

    I'm so glad you all enjoyed. This recipe has saved my family loads of $$$. We have pizza weekly, sometimes more often than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kaitlyn,
    I was reading your previous post about expectations and I totally agree. I feel like I have to constantly explain myself. Especially being a new mother. I never realized until you posted that. Thanks

    Krystal

    ReplyDelete

Shabby background

From One Mess...

From One Mess...

..to another

..to another

Last Day of Pre-K

Last Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

Lemonade Stand

Lemonade Stand

Father's Day

Father's Day

Productivity

Productivity
June 8-???

Reading

Reading

Ice cream

Ice cream
Incentives

Suggested Reading

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • Homeschooling: The First Year by Linda Dobson
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

Followers