Saturday, June 6, 2009

Modern Technology

Several weeks ago we experienced high winds here in CNY. Earlier that morning I took the kids to the grocery store and when we returned just after 10am I was disappointed to find the clock on our electric oven blank, no hum from the fridge, the microwave- dead. Hm. I didn't panic right away. No power for a few minutes would be fine. I pulled out a large basket of books and the kids collected their favorite blankets and pillows and settled themselves down in front of the large windows, the only place in the house with sufficient (natural) lighting. Even Ashley was flipping pages (ok, so she did chew on a few, but still!) More than an hour passed and I was amazed that my children were still happily flipping pages of their favorite bedtime stories, giggling and asking questions about some of the pictures. Jamie would occasionally invite Brian over to her pillow and "read" a favorite story to him. It was wonderful. Then everyone noticed their tummies grumbling. Even after returning from the grocery store I found myself unprepared to feed everyone without a microwave or electric stove/oven. (I had forgotten to pick up a loaf of bread, so peanut butter and jelly just wasn't an option.) We ended up munching on crackers with cream cheese and Goldfish crackers, and the kids were thrilled!
So I wonder, what does your family do in the event of a daytime power outage when the weather does not permit outdoor play and activities? Are you prepared for this event? I'd love to hear some of your ideas about what you'd feed the kids and what activities you would enjoy if the tv didn't work, the radios won't play music, and the computer's screen remains black. I'd like to be better prepared the next time I have three children to entertain without modern technology to help me out!

2 comments:

  1. You need a rainy day basket. A box full of paper, crayons & markers, stickers...you know craft supplies. Maybe you could create your own song and dance? Jamie would perform for you! Paint fingernails or play dress up. Sing primary songs A Capella. Food...fruit either fresh or dried. How about write a letter to their favorite aunt and uncle in Utah? I don't know just a thought. The picture is very cute, lovely children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Singing and dancing is definitely one of our favorite activities. Ashley likes to sit smack-dab in the middle of the kids twirling and bouncing. She claps and giggles and bounces right along with them. It's one of the top 100 most adorable things my children do.

    ReplyDelete

Shabby background

From One Mess...

From One Mess...

..to another

..to another

Last Day of Pre-K

Last Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

First Day of Pre-K

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

"Like a Big Pizza Pie...."

Lemonade Stand

Lemonade Stand

Father's Day

Father's Day

Productivity

Productivity
June 8-???

Reading

Reading

Ice cream

Ice cream
Incentives

Suggested Reading

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • Homeschooling: The First Year by Linda Dobson
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

Followers